Tuesday 12 July 2011

When Life After Google+ Becomes The Norm

In about six months time, after the buzz of this major shift in social media has died down, we will all find ourselves in the Google+ era.

But what will this strange circular future be like? 


Will Twitter still exist? - (probably)
Will only Google Blogs (Blogger) exist in the Google index?
Will photos will be shared in Google Photos (currently Picasa)?
Will Groupon be replaced with Google deals (beta testing in NY at the moment)?
Will media buying be replaced with just the Google Content network and double click?
Will Google remarketing replace other remarketing programs?
Will Google+ streams replace Facebook?
Will Google docs and cloud computing replace Microsoft Office?
Will Google power TV advertising through “adwords” like software? (US beta)
Will architects and designers use sketch up over the expensive Autocad softwares?
Will the Google apps store overtake the Apple store?
Will Google boutiques take over from personal shoppers?
Will anyone use buzz?
Will aggregated news come through feedburner approved feeds?
Will Jaiku take over fromTwitter (not sure)?
Will Knol take off as an authoritative alternative to “yahoo questions”?
Will Pow-wow-now be replaced by Marratch? – (acquired in 2007 but never used)
Will Google analytics launch a premium version with multi stream tracking? (apparently, on its way)
Don’t forget about YouTube. Will it take market shares from companies such as Love Film with its premium service?

Ok, maybe not all of these products will take off, but it is quite amazing what Google has in its midst.  Just poking about today shows there are a lot of products that could easily become house hold names.
In my opinion, Google is intentionally not taking all of these products to market separately. If they did, the devastation to its competition would be a potential PR disaster.  However, I don’t think this means that they won’t.  I think Google+ is the first step of getting everyone organised and into one place, and the start of a push for Google to dominate new markets.

Last week Google removed the ability to have non public Google profiles. I know the first thing I did was remove duplicates (I am an SEO at heart). There is now only one version of me: Martin McAndrew on Google.  This is potentially a great way for Google to de-duplicate its customer database.

I have noticed , I spend all day logged into Google as I want to be kept up to-date with what is going on in my Google+ stream.  The bi-product of this is that Google is now getting all of my search and web usage information:

  • Which sites I visit.
  • How interesting I personally feel the contents are.
  • How long I spend on sites.
  • How I interact with sites I visit.
  • Which sites I bounce from.
  • What content I share or recommend to my circles.

Once Google+ becomes a way of life, I am sure all of the products that exist in isolation will be integrated into the Google+ “dash board”. Slowly Google will expand and consume.

No comments:

Post a Comment